Landlords who agree to participate in the Housing Choice Voucher programs, receive approximately 70 percent of their contract rent in rental subsidies sent directly to them, with the remaining rent paid by the tenant. Amounts of rental subsidies and rent limits are subject to program regulations.

Participation in the program requires execution of a Housing Assistance Contract with Montana Department of Commerce on behalf of HUD.

Field Agencies provide information and outreach to landlords to ensure families have access to all types and ranges of affordable rental homes throughout the State of Montana.

How does the Housing Choice Voucher Work?


A family or individual applies for a Housing Choice Voucher with Montana Housing at the Department of Commerce. They are placed on their selected Field Agent area wait list.

Voucher Issuance

Once the family reaches the top of the waiting list, Montana Housing issues a voucher that allows the prospective tenants to search for a rental home that meets their needs and program requirements.

Housing Search

The Housing Choice Voucher is valid for 60 days from the date of issuance. During this time, the voucher holder will provide the landlord with a Request for Tenancy Approval (RTA) form. The landlord must complete the RTA and both landlord and voucher holder must sign the RTA. The completed RTA is submitted to the Field Agent to determine whether the rent and utility allowance are within the gross rent amount allowed by the program.

Rent Amount and Market Comparability Survey

HUD requires that surveys are conducted of the surrounding rental market to compare the requested rent amount with rents being charged for similar apartments.

Housing Quality Standards

If the RTA is approved, the Field Agent will schedule an inspection of the rental home to ensure it meets Housing Quality Standards (HQS). Rental homes must pass the HQS inspection for the subsidy to begin.

Housing Assistance Payment Contract

The landlord and Montana Housing at the Department of Commerce execute the Housing Assistance Payment Contract in order for rental assistance payments to begin.


The landlord and family must sign a lease that is provided by the landlord consistent with state and local law. If the landlord does not have a lease, a standard HUD lease is provided. The family’s initial lease must be 12 months and have the same date as the Housing Assistance Payment Contract. After the initial 12-month lease, the family may remain in the rental home on a month-to-month lease. For landlords wanting to increase the rent, a 60-day notice is required to be provided to the family and Montana Housing after the first year.


HAP Contract
Tenancy Addendum
Owners Certification
Direct Deposit Form
W9 Form
Owner/Landlord Information sheet
Rules Fact Sheet on Lead Based Paint
Sexual Harassment in Housing
HQS Inspection Checklist
Common HQS Failed Items
HUD Fact Sheet
MCA Title 70, Chapter 24. Residential Landlord and Tenant Act of 1977
Montana Fair Housing

Landlord Portal

Assistance Connect

As a convenience, Montana Housing at the Department of Commerce now offers landlords a new secure, online service called Assistance Connect. This service allows existing landlords to view information about their housing assistance payments and contact us directly, anytime of the day or night. This saves time and the need to make an appointment.