Larkspur Commons, Bozeman

Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH)

The HUD-Veterans Affairs Supporting Housing program, or HUD-VASH, provides rental assistance in combination with case management and clinical services provided by local Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Centers (VAMC) for homeless veterans. Homeless veterans and their families receiving HUD-VASH rental assistance must receive VA case management services until the VAMC determines that is no longer necessary. Veterans pay approximately 30 percent of their adjusted gross monthly income in rent, and a subsidy is paid directly to the property owner. 

Montana Housing administers two HUD-VASH programs:

  • HUD-VASH voucher, where veterans and their families select the rental home of their choice, subject to program requirements and landlord participation
  • Project Based HUD-VASH at Freedom’s Path at Fort Harrison


If a veteran is interested in participating in the HUD-VASH program, they should first contact their case manager at their local VAMC. The VA is responsible for referring eligible homeless veterans to Montana Housing. 

Montana Housing’s contracted Field Agent will determine income eligibility and screen for life-time sex offender registration.

For More Information on HUD-VASH

Veterans Affairs Website
HUD’s Veteran Information Page

301 S. PARK AVE, STE 240 | PO BOX 200528 | HELENA, MT 59620-0528 | P: 406.841.2840 | F: 406.841.2841 | TDD: 406.841.2702 | TOLL FREE: 800.761.6264 


We use cookies. We want to make our website more user-friendly and continuously improve it. If you continue to use the website, you agree to the use of cookies.