Montana Community



Collaborative Solutions, CSH, the Montana Department of Commerce, and The Road Home would like to welcome your participation in a 3-part training series addressing landlord engagement and eviction prevention to help vulnerable clients find and keep safe, stable, and affordable homes in rural Montana.

Engaged and Informed is an interactive and informative training opportunity for community partners, faith community volunteers, mental health providers, supportive service practitioners, social service staff, and those advocates and agents working to increase housing stability for vulnerable clients and reduce homelessness in Montana. This is an opportunity to come together to address the ongoing need for collaborative relationships with landlords and improve access to safe, stable, and affordable homes in rural communities.

This is a free training series. Registration will be open to 50 participants per training session. Please register soon to guarantee your spot. All trainings will be provided by The Road Home. Lunch will be provided for the onsite trainings in Helena and Bozeman.

Registration is required for: your onsite training choice.



Onsite Workshops: 9am to 5pm: October 4th (Helena) or October 5th (Bozeman)

*Please note that the webinars contain different material and are prerequisites for the onsite workshop.
It is strongly encouraged that participants attend both webinars prior to the onsite workshop.

Registration Information

Option 1. To register for the  onsite training in Helena on October 4th, click here.

Option 2. To register for the onsite training in Bozeman on October 5th, click here.


For those in need of hotel accommodations, see training location information below. A block of State Rate rooms are available at each hotel.

Radisson Colonial Hotel

2301 Colonial Drive, Helena, MT  59601, Phone: 406.443.2100


Best Western GranTree Inn

1325 North 7th Avenue, Bozeman MT  59715, Phone: 406.587.5261

Printable Flyer

For more information about the curriculum, please contact Mande Ellison-Weed at  334.703.9313

For assistance with accommodations or arrangements in Montana, contact Penny Cope at  406.841.2846



Webinar 1: Recorded Webinar 1 - Please watch this, at your convenience.

Webinar 2: Coming soon.



How Landlord Engagement Works








What is the advantages of this new process?

  • Answer

What are Housing Quality Standards?

Housing Quality Standards (HQS) are minimum standards established by HUD to ensure that all rental units are safe, decent and sanitary.  A field agent will conduct the unit inspection to make sure that it meets the standards.  If the field agency determines that deficiencies exist, the landlord and the family will be notified with the reasons provided.  The landlord will be given 30 days to correct the problems.  The MDOC Section 8 Program will execute the Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) Contact after a re-inspection shows repairs are complete.

Site and Neighborhood

The site and neighborhood must be reasonably free of conditions that would endanger the health and safety of residents.


The unit must have a private entrance without going through another dwelling unit.

Space and Security

The dwelling unit shall contain a living room, kitchen area and bathroom.

Lead-Based Paint

HUD requires landlords to disclose known information concerning lead-based paint and/or lead-based paint hazards for pre-1978 dwellings.

Water Supply

Either public or private sanitary water supply is acceptable.

Thermal Environment

The unit shall contain safe heating that is in proper operating condition and provides adequate heat to each room in the dwelling unit appropriate for the climate to assure a healthy living environment.

Interior Air Quality

The unit shall be fee from dangerous levels of air pollution from carbon monoxide, sewer, gas, fuel gas, dust, and other harmful air pollutants.

Sanitary Facilities

All sanitary facilities shall be present in the dwelling unit, all in proper operating conditions.

Structure and Materials

All ceiling, walls and floors shall not have any serious defects such as severe bulging or leaning, large holes, loose surface materials, severe buckling or noticeable movement under walking stress, missing parts or other serious damage.

Illumination and Electricity

Each room shall have adequate natural or artificial illumination to permit normal indoor activities and to support the health and safety of occupants.

Smoke Detector

A smoke detector is required to provide maximum warning to occupants should a fire or smoke situation occur.

Sanitary Condition

The unit and its equipment must be free of vermin and rodent infestation.

Food Preparation and Refuse Disposal

There must be adequate space provided for the storage, preparation, and serving of food within the unit.


301 S. PARK AVE, STE 240 | PO BOX 200528 | HELENA, MT 59620-0528 | P: 406.841.2840 | F: 406.841.2841 | TDD: 406.841.2702 | TOLL FREE: 800.761.6264

Return to HOMEBUYERS Information        Return to HOMEOWNERS Information        Return to RENTERS Information        Return to MULTIFAMILY HOUSING DEVELOPMENT Information        Return to COMMUNITY PARTNER Information        Return to INVESTORS Information